Saturday, June 2, 2012

Who Needs a Tour Guide When You Have Clete?

I’m not going to lie – I didn’t do much prep work for this trip. I did read the book, Pretty Birds (a novel about the conflict in Sarajevo) and watch a documentary on the war – but this was nothing compared to Clete’s preparation. Below is one conversation that exemplifies his skills.
While strolling down Sniper’s Alley…
Clete: I feel like this is such a big city, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, it does have a population of 300,000. Well, 300,000 city proper and 700,000 metropolitan area
Lisa: And GDP per capita is...
Clete: Not very high.  It’s ranked 123… this is compared to 67 for Croatia and 106 for Montenegro.

Later at the museum…
Lisa: So how long was Yugoslavia a country?
Clete: Well it was a Kingdom of Croats, Slovenes, and Bosnians from the end of World War I until 1929 and then it was Yugoslavia until 1991. Of course, prior to that the Austro-Hungarian Empire ruled from 1878 until WWI and prior to that it was the Ottomans.

I could go on… but you get the idea. As I type while driving, Clete is informing me that we are approaching the third most visited pilgrimage site in the continent of Europe. I’m personally more excited for the waterfalls that we are stopping by after.


No comments: